Mission and vision
Commercially viable biobased and biodegradable plastic!
BluCon Biotech GmbH was founded in June 2017 and has its research laboratories and offices at the BioCampus, Cologne. The company continues to develop a unique technology by which L-lactic acid can be produced at lowest possible production costs so that the bioplastic poly lactic acid (PLA) will become commercially competitive to fossil fuel based plastics.
Such technology development has been initiated and carried out by Direvo Industrial Biotech GmbH in Cologne. Patents and know how have been acquired from Direvo by Zheijiang Youcheng group, Hangzhou, China. Chinese startup company, Dehong Biotech Ltd. has been entrusted to drive the commercialization of BluCon technology. Dehong in turn has entrusted BluCon Biotech GmbH to carry out strain and process development towards commercial process. BluCon Biotech GmbH is also partnering with Dehong, Hangzhou, to build and operate a biotechnology laboratory in Hangzhou and implement BluCon technology there.
BluCon Biotech GmbH collaborates with Shanghai Tong Jie Liang Biomaterials Ltd. (TJL) for the production of PLA and thus is very well integrated downstream. TJL is also building a research and development laboratory in Hangzhou, Zheijiang, China.
Besides developing BluCon technology to commercial stage, BluCon Biotech GmbH serves as a platform to acquire further technologies in the field of applied biotechnology. With its core team, the company shows outstanding expertise in microbiology of extremophilic bacteria, in strain and process development and in project management. It is very well connected both in Germany and internationally.
This is us
Dr. Albrecht Läufer
Dr. Andreas Lischka
Head of Finance & Administration
Dr. Vitaly Svetlichny
Head of Research
Dr. Marco Krämer
Head of Laboratory
In close association with your partner laboratory Depei Biotechnology Ltd. (Gongsu District, Hangzhou City, China) you will lead the development of Downstream Process. Our joint business objective is the development of the most cost effective upstream and downstream processes for the production of polymer grade lactic acid and the commercialization of this technology. You will oversee laboratory scale and scale up of the downstream process into industrial scale. You be part of international team and oversee DSP development all in-house and with external partners.
Area of Responsibility
- Lead and coordinate a lab team of dynamic individuals focusing on all downstream development aspects from separation, filtration, ion exchange chromatography and evaporation
- Establish and advance downstream equipment for purification of lactic acid out of fermentation broth to polymer grade status
- Plan and organize downstream development programs at various scales (lab scale, pilot scale and production scale)
- You strive to reduce development timelines, increase productivity and reduce production costs.
- You document and present results internally and externally.
- You ensure that collaboration with external partners is carried out in compliance with all internal, national and international procedures, guidelines and regulations
- you report regularly to the Project Manager
- Education: PhD in Biotechnology, Bio-Engineering, Chemical Engineering preferably with 1-2 years of related post-doctoral or industrial experience or Master with at least 2-4 years of superior work related experiences
- Languages: English and German
– strong background in purification methods e.g. membrane technology, separation techniques, chromatography and evaporation
– Broad scientific and technical knowledge in chemistry, biotechnology, bioengineering
– good knowledge of relevant software tools and Microsoft Office,
– awareness of safety regulations and safe handling of chemicals and equipment,
– good skills in presentation and scientific/technical writing.
– Experience with production of lactic acid is an advantage.
- Willingness to travel
We are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive online application (1-page cover letter explaining the reasons of interest to join our team, curriculum vitae summarizing technical skills, personal goals and extra-scientific passions, certificates concerning your education).
Get in touch
BluCon Biotech GmbH
50829 Cologne, Germany